Pictured to the left (circa 1935) is Barney Abma, first generation founder of Abma’s Farm, ready to deliver his cleaned and graded eggs to homes and businesses in Wyckoff. His son Henry would deliver them by bicycle. Patrons visiting the farm would use the “honor box”: picking eggs from a cooler and dropping money into the box. The barn in the background was the original chicken coop, which was renovated in the 1970s and transformed into the retail Farm Market you see today. The chickens relocated to a new coop on the farm.
Over the years, we vastly broadened our variety of vegetable crops and now house around 10% of our original poultry numbers: approximately 2,000 White Leghorn and Rhode Island Red hens. Our chickens are fed a custom feed made specifically for Abma’s Farm consisting of an all-natural grain, corn, soybean and flax mixture, making it a rich source of Omega 3. Our feed contains NO antibiotics, NO growth hormones and NO animal biproducts. Although it is costlier, we utilize Flax to incorporate a natural source of Omega 3. We never use synthetic Omega that is commonly used in commercial operations in effort to keep costs down. This quality grain ensures our birds will remain extra healthy and happy!
About Our Chicken Coops:
• Our chicken coops are cage free
• Our chicken coop consists of three levels:
• Floor level– Has feed trays, water spigots and shavings, making a great area to scratch and nest. Our hens love nesting in these shavings.
• Second level– Contains individual nests. This is where our hens lay their eggs. Once the hen leaves the nest the egg rolls onto a conveyor belt to be collected at the beginning and end of each day.
• Below the floor level– Manure collects to be later used in our fields for fertilizer.
Abma’s Farm Eggs Are Sold Two Ways:
1) Nest Eggs: White (White Leghorn hens) and Brown (Rhode Island Red hens) eggs are collected fresh each morning from the coup (usually still warm), sold by the piece and are not graded (sized) or washed. What makes these eggs so special is that you’re buying it completely in its natural form. As the egg is laid it has a natural protective cover called the “bloom” also known as the cuticle. The bloom helps to prevent bacteria from getting inside the shell and reduces moisture loss from the egg. Since Nest Eggs still have their Bloom, there is no need to refrigerate them, although you may still do so. You will never have an egg as fresh as our nest eggs anywhere else! Enjoy the difference! You will never have an egg as fresh as our nest eggs anywhere else! Enjoy the difference!
2) Carton Eggs: White (White Leghorn hens) and Brown (Rhode Island Red hens), in sizes Medium, Large, Extra Large, and Jumbo.
Carton eggs are collected twice daily from the same coup and brought over to our egg room where they are cleaned with water and graded to be sold by a specific size. Our washing process checks the eggs for any regularities and rinses off any dirt or bacteria. This wash process also washes off the Bloom, so you do need to refrigerate these clean eggs. Since there is no extra time or transport in our on-site process, you receive the freshest carton eggs available. Enjoy the benefits of a local flock in your back yard!
• Shell color simply points to a different breed of laying hen and has no impact on taste or nutrition.
• Hens with white feathers and white ear lobes lay white eggs; hens with red feathers and red ear lobes lay brown eggs.
• Eggs contain zero carbs and no sugar.
• Eggs contain the highest form of protein you can buy, more than chicken or steak!
• Eggs have all 9 amino acids.
• Eggs are rich in choline. Choline promotes normal cell activity, liver function and the transportation of nutrients throughout the body.
• Omega-3 or DHA eggs are from chickens that have been fed a diet supplemented by a source of omega-3 fatty acids (often flax seed).
• Eggs are gluten free.
Fun Egg Facts
• Helps keep your muscles strong
• Helps your brain and memory function
• Helps keep your immune system working properly
• Lowers your risk of Heart Disease
• Helps develop healthy babies during pregnancy
• Keeps your skin looking healthy
• Helps your body produce the energy it needs